Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Dedicated - Danielle Cassidy

Yesterday was my first day working on the house. When we walked in they asked who was able to sheetrock and for whatever reason I stepped forward. Next thing I knew I was holding heavy boards, cutting things, measuring and screwing boards into beams. I was doing real hard labor, real work and it felt... amazing. Throughout the day I saw the home owner walking around and even though I havent had the chance to talk to him yet I felt like we had a connection because I am building his house and trying my best to make a difference.

So I had a huge flashback today while I was working. I was thinking about everything that I am grateful for and suddenly I remembered something crazy. While vacationing a few years back with my family I went to the theme parks in Florida. My sister and I waited in line for some okay ride that had a four hour wait (typical) and we started talking with the people around us. The young guys behind us asked where we were from so we said "orginially Brooklyn but now Jersey" and they said wow New York we were there once. We asked why and they said when 9/11 happened they came up to help out. As I think back on it I remember, clear as day, that they were from New Orleans. This house is for them, I feel like I am giving back finally for the love they put into a city so close to my heart.

So if there is any chance those guys behind me in line (for four hours waiting for the Hulk ride) those very same guys we shared the very front row with..if you are reading this...I'm here..in your home town.. ready to give back to your city like you did for my family.

-Danielle Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment