Friday, January 22, 2010

Looking Back - Dave Karas

It is hard to believe that it has been exactly a week since I was last in New Orleans, wrapping up after a week of working at Mr. Alvin's house. I feel as though our work there is not over, and that I should be at the job site, ready to work again on Monday morning.

It is hard to collect all of my observations gathered in our journey. From viewing the devastation left by Katrina, to experiencing the culture of New Orleans, to driving through the night and spending time with friends, it seems like we were there for much longer than a week.

I could not be more grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to take part in this service trip, and to have a hand in the rebuilding of the city. Ever since the storm first hit, I felt that there was something that I personally should do, and now I feel that I have been able to fulfill that duty, at least to a small degree. And I hope to have the opportunity to return to New Orleans again to pick up where other volunteers leave off, and to see how Mr. Alvin is doing!

It has been difficult to watch coverage of what has happened in Haiti. I often find myself avoiding the news channels and stories, afraid to see more photos of the great tragedies and casualties. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for residents there, and my heart and prayers go out to all who have been affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment