Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Orleans 2010 Blog 1 - Danielle Cassidy

New Orleans 2010.

Today was my first day touring New Orleans. I was not sure what to expect but I can say I didn't think that there would still be so much devastation in NOLA. There was actually steps that lead to where homes used to stand, markings that the Coast Guard posted on the houses, and open fields where all that was left was foundation. In my van was a group of Bonners who were on the trip last year, they explain different things in the area and spoke of the trailers that FEMA gave after the hurricane (which were still there last year).

Half way through the tour I sent a text to my mom (who watched the documentary with me before I left). I said "It's so sad down here. Shocking. Wow." Three simple shorts sentences that do not even begin to express what I was feeling inside.

Leaving our tour I saw a sign that said "Lower 9th Ward Reconstruction" and spray painted on the bottom of the sign it said, "Only 5 years later" Even though so much has been done, there is so much more to do. I feel privileged to be a part of making a difference in NOLA. Tomorrow we start construction. I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

-Danielle Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment