Monday, January 4, 2010

Opportunity - Richard Osei

Last December when I went to New Orleans it was nothing as I imagined. I asked myself what can I do to make a difference? Will it be enough? The first night there, I planned a layout of all the possible things I would do so that I know that I have been able to touch the life of someone. I was there for a reason, and that reason will be fulfilled. It has been about five years since Hurricane Katrina occurred. There is lack of progress because enough is not being done to help rebuild New Orleans. I was talking to a home owner who just had her house rebuilt, and she said everyday when she looks outside to see that her neighbors who used to live there house is still in despair, tears flow from her eyes. Streets are still not fixed. The progress rate is very slow, and I wish New Orleans and the Mississippi area could receive more help. One person will not be able to do this by themselves. Different communities lending help and the government helping the residents will help increase the growth of improvement.

I am honestly looking forward to go to New Orleans again to continue the work we started from last year. Being there last year, I know what is expected and also know the work load that is ahead. But as a group, I believe we can accomplish any task that is given to us. Last year, Lire and I were in the same group. I never really knew much about him, but after getting the opportunity to work with him, I learned lot about me. He was able to teach me what he knew, i gave him a helping hand when he needed help, but most importantly we established a good friendship after the trip. This trip will help everyone get to know one another better, and will also give everyone a chance to learn more about themselves such as character strength, weaknesses, insights or steps needed to better what one is not good at.


No comments:

Post a Comment