Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reconstruction- Joey Sison

On our first day, our team was sent to a home in Slidell to put up dry wall and do mudding, which turned out to be more difficult than I thought. The house seemed to be on a slant, as well as some of the rooms, which created problems later on in terms of measurements. Our team was then split into two groups, and I went with the one group to another house about half an hour from the first one to do some demolition. We met the owner of the house and her dog, and both were pretty happy to see us. However, some of our members *cough*Richard*cough* were not so happy to see the dog. We tore down some walls and the ceiling of one room, which was a lot of fun until we found the roaches hiding behind them. The second day, we drove to a new house which was really far away to dispose of garbage in the front yard. We went back to the second house to tear out insulation, kill the roaches, and put the garbage from that house into a pile outside to burn. The amount of time we spent driving bothered me a little because I felt like we could have accomplished so much more in that time. I guess I expected for us to be going from house to house all next door to each other in the same neighborhood, instead of single houses all over Louisiana. Aside from that, our team seems to be bonding a lot and we're getting a good amount of work done. I'm having a lot of fun, learning new skills, and also new things about myself. I've been wondering why I haven't gone on service trips like this in the past, and also when I'll be able to go on my next one. On the way back to Olive Tree, we also saw one of the coolest sights ever. While driving over that 5 mile long bridge, we watched the sun set under two clouds that formed a cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment