Thursday, January 14, 2010

Taking a Step Back - Dave Karas

As we near the end of our week of rebuilding projects in New Orleans' Ninth Ward, I look back on our progress throughout our time here, both on a personal and working level. Personally, I have developed an understanding of just how much this region was devastated, and I have began to appreciate what I have to come home to even more than before.

At our site, we have made great progress, completing the installation of sheetrock throughout the house and getting the walls ready for primer and paint. For the first time in our week here, we cannot see through any of the framed walls. It is a house.

This evening, Mr. Alvin, our homeowner, and his wife joined us for dinner at camp. For the first time, I had the opportunity to meet his wife, who works during the day while he works alongside us at the house. There were hardly words to describe the range of emotions when we met. She at once gave me a big hug, thanking me for my work. For me, that moment means more than any others that I have experienced during the week. It reminded me of why I am here, and who we are helping. No documentary or discussion about who we are helping could ever compare.

With one more day of work left in the week, I cannot help but feel nostalgic that we will soon leave our friends at the camp and at our sites, and depart for TCNJ. Seeing that there is much more work to be done, I almost feel that I have not done enough to help. I have the privilege of going home, which is more than so many families in New Orleans can say. But I know that there will be many more groups after us, which provides me with the hope that they will continue to be helped.

And now, we prepare to hand off our site to the next group of volunteers...

No comments:

Post a Comment