Thursday, January 7, 2010

When the Levees Broke-Jax

I first saw the documentary last year before the trip but even while watching it again, it seemed as if I was watching it for the first time. I am first really glad a documentary such as this was made and that it focused on the survivors and their points of view on what happened. The hurricane Katrina I saw on the news when it first happened was quite different from the katrina I saw in the documentary. Of course the news showed the disaster and suffering but the documentary definately went deeper. It made me imagine myself in such a disaster and to empathize with the survivors. It made me thank God for my blessings and be thankful for each day I am alive because it not garaunteed. No one could have imagine something like that occuring on American soil and what the hurricane took: lives, families, homes, possessions, schools, history... is something to be remembered. I am now over being angry at the below par assistance the survivors were given and now I am just focused on being a tool to be used to rebuild someone's home. I really enjoyed being there last year and feeling like I was part of something historical and I cannot wait to get back in and get dirty and just to give a helping hand to someone in need. I am really greatful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment