Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thoughts--Lindsay Klein

So having just sat down and watched When the Levees Broke for four hours straight, a lot of things are going through my head. I was shocked at not only the pictures and videos in the documentary, but what New Orleans citizens were saying about the response (or better yet, lack of) of the government and government agencies. It is infuriating, in a way, to think that these people were left with nothing for days, which turned into weeks, and no one was really doing much about it. I am greatly looking forward to heading down to New Orleans on Friday. I think it will be very interesting to see how much it has changed (or hasn't changed?) since 2006, when the documentary was filmed. My parents just returned from a weekend trip to New Orleans--the last time they were there was before Katrina, and they were shocked at the difference (and they also told me places to get the best beignets (did I spell that right?) haha). I am looking forward to helping out in any way I can to get the city back on its feet. I have never been to New Orleans before, let alone Louisiana, and I can't wait to not only experience the cultural differences, but to help the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment