Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When The Levees Broke- Joey Sison

This was my first time seeing this documentary and it was a reminder of how truly privileged I am. I have never been to New Orleans before, but I am truly afraid of what I will see. Residents from the movie kept saying how they expected there to be more progress, and there definitely should be, seeing as how it has almost been five years since the tragedy. I cannot imagine the heartbreak and difficulty of losing one's home, family, sentimental possessions, and lifestyle. I really cannot begin to think of how one would start over completely. The feeling of not having a place to call home anymore must be horrible.

It was aggravating listening to the victims' testimonials about the lack of support they felt. Some were left to sit in their flooding houses with no food, water, showers, surrounded by an ocean of debris and corpses of their neighbors until help (hopefully) came. Others watched their friends and family members die from these causes, or because they were unable to seek medical attention. I can't remember what I was doing at the time Hurricane Katrina hit, but it probably wasn't anything to help out these fellow Americans who were suffering. The fact that race was still such a major problem was also striking. I had never thought about the use of the term "refugee" when it was used in the media. One would hope that in such a situation where so many people are in distress, something such as race would be disregarded. I guess that's just wishful thinking though. I was also baffled at the part where they described that the levees they were replacing were not improved at all.

I'm glad to be getting the opportunity to help rebuild and break out from the sheltered way of life I grew up in. I am also looking forward to learning about New Orleans' culture and getting to know everyone better.

No comments:

Post a Comment