Monday, January 11, 2010

NOLA So Far - Tommy Mladenetz

Words cannot describe how I felt when we took our initial tour of the city. I have seen endless amounts of pictures and videos of the destruction of Hurricane Katrina, but seeing it in my own eyes felt completely different. I saw the markings they used on the houses when they searched for bodies, houses that were completely blown out and vacant, and also stoop steps that led to nothing; all signs of the horrible aftermath of Katrina. After seeing the Lower 9th Ward, we got to see the Superdome and also the French Quarter. These two spectacles were amazing to see. The French Quarter is so lively and colorful and I really liked the narrow streets, back alleys, and the general architecture.

Today, we were sent on our first day of work. The house my team was sent to was in Slidell. It was tiny but there was a lot of work needed to be done. I put up drywall and spackle for the first time in my life. I quickly caught on and am eager to finish spackling tomorrow. We briefly met the homeowner and she seemed very nice. I had a lot of fun working with my team as well and I'm looking forward to working with them for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment