Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"So far..." Karachi Ukaegbu

Today, Jackie Abbey and I invited the woman we and our team have been helping to the "Project Homecoming" dinner tomorrow night. I did not expect her reaction. When we knocked on Rosalee's bedroom door, she was already smiling as she greeted us. We told her about the dinner and she was delighted, almost as if she was relieved. She let out a sigh, smiled at us, and said, "Wow, that's nice. Thanks so very much!"

I guess I am placing an emphasis on this because the area in which she lives in beautiful, wide, and full of trees, greenery, and fresh air. BUT she does not have any close neighbors.
So besides the company of her dog, Jewel, it can get quite lonely (as she had mentioned lightly in previous onversations).

It felt good seeing and reading the smile on her face; fully appreciating how a simple act can make someone's day. I think our company helps her. I'm not sure how, but I know it does.

I remember at our first dinner at Olive Tree, a woman stood up at dinner reflections and said something about helping families here at NOLA is not just about fixing their homes.
It is also about loving and interacting with them as well.
Sharing thoughts, smiles, dreams, and hope.

I hope she has a great time tomorrow. And I can't wait to show her around. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment