Thursday, January 7, 2010

When the Levees Broke - Tommy Mladenetz

Just finished packing and finally got to sit down and write my thoughts on the documentary. After watching it, I was both sad and almost scared for what I will see while in NOLA. The first person accounts were horrifying and the pictures and videos were tragic as well. I can not imagine what it would be like to have my home completely demolished, and have to almost start fresh with my life. Not only that, but these people and families were also handled terribly by our government, and not given as much help as they deserved. Athough I am a bit scared of what to see while there, I am also more than excited to go on this trip. I have never been down there before, and I have always wanted to see the city. When Katrina hit, I was actually vacationing in LBI and I vividly remember seeing the first newscast about it and the live feed they had of the terrible flood waters. Pictures and video can only say so much though. Seeing things first hand always have a greater impact on us. With that being said, I am prepared to see firsthand the damage that has occurred down there and hear from survivors. I am ready and anxious to help them in whatever we (the Bonners) can do. Besides going to New Orleans itself, I am more than excited for the drive and to be able to get to know both my freshman class better, and also the rest of the Bonners attending. I'll see everyone in the morning, hopefully it isn't snowing too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment