Thursday, January 7, 2010

NOLA-Teresa

I think before seeing this documentary I was a little naive about that day in New Orleans. Although I remember how much of a tragedy it was and know that it must have affected and hurt many people, I believed it was something that could be a passing pain, that people would soon recover and move on, building there lives over once again. After watching this documentary, I could not help but cry thinking about all the people that knew, once they left their homes behind, they would never have that same house. They would never regain everything that they had left behind because Katrina came in and destroyed it all, leaving them to start their lives over with nothing but the little that they were able to take with them.
Then another emotion came over me. I felt angry that the government had taken so long to come in and help everyone they knew was still stuck in New Orleans. It almost seemed like they could not care less about the people who were stuck on rooftops and in houses filled with water. Granted they were supposed to have left but it's understandable that people will hesitate to leave everything. At this moment, I cannot keep away my feelings of anger knowing that years later, not much has changed in the lower income areas. I am glad to be going on this trip so that I may experience first hand what the situation continues to be like down there, and also, to finally lend a helping hand to someone who needs it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment