Thursday, January 7, 2010

:: When the Leeves Broke -NOLA- Karachi Ukaegbu ::

My initial response to the documentary was, "I can't believe how real this is..."

You may be puzzled at my reaction; but to be honest, no one can imagine the pain, suffering, and humiliation the people of New Orleans went through. One can easily say, "Oh yeah, I know what you mean..." simply for conversation's sake. In reality, seeing and hearing one thing is extremely different from experiencing it. For example, you can watch the movie,Titanic, but never really understand what it is like to be on a sinking cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic. You learned about the Holocaust in middle school, but you can never fully comprehend the emotions and fears the victims faced day to day. You can be African American and know your history, but you will never know or can even relate to the struggles faced during the slave trade.

This is what I meant by my initial reaction. I always heard about Hurricane Katrina and knew it was really bad, but not to what extent.

Watching the movie, I felt helpless -- just watching as people cried, gave up on hope, and let go of all they lived for. I was emotional halfway into the documentary. This is a natural disaster, no one could control what was going to happen. I remember a woman saying, "Is this what God wanted for us? To die?" It is moments like these when I begin to question my Christian faith and God's plans for this world.

Living in the "endowed" United States of America, you would expect immediate relief after a natural disaster. Obviously, the government handled the aid of Katrina victims terribly. Seriously? Is President Bush RETARDED? Is he and the government RACIST? Is Condoleezza Rice that SELFISH? It is embarrassing to know that the leaders of this country were so ignorant and irresponsible, especially at this time.

However, that could slightly be a hypocritical statement.
Like I mentioned in the beginning, the problem is lack of awareness. No one understood the urgency of the Katrina aftermath until it was in their face: on the television, in documentaries, radios, outbursts, etc -- Government and ALL US citizens alike.

Even then, help didn't come until much later.

Can you imagine how that feels?
Being ignored an neglected after being promised protection and aid simply by being a citizen in the "Great US of A".
Can you really imagine?

The hurricane disaster brought out and highlighted the best and the worst in people. Whether it was in the residents who were directly affected by it, or government officials trying to help (or cover their faults) from farther away.
It was uplifting to see that they, as brothers and sisters of the human race, can put away their differences and sacrifice for each other, even in the hardest of times.

...- -- . - . -- -...

I don't know what to expect entering New Orleans. In fact, I am terrified.
All I know is that I should follow their example and help the best I can.

Two hands can make all the difference.
Imagine what we, as Bonners, can do together...

No comments:

Post a Comment